Instructional Formats for Teaching with Simulations
- Use simulations in the classroom to illustrate conditions and decision points
- Use simulations in the classroom to illustrate concepts and knowledge
- ‘Sim lab’ environment or individual screen with single instructor playing multiple support roles and evaluating a candidate’s decisions and actions
- ‘Sim lab’ environment with other instructor and students as role players feeding scripted information to the candidate, then rotating students through the officer candidate’s position.
- Tip: Conduct objective critiques immediately following each scenario to maximize learning impact.
Self-Paced Training (e.g., electronic or online)
- Use simulations in self-paced content to illustrate conditions and decision points
- e.g., NIOSH reports, incident reconstructions, etc.
- Use simulations to present conditions and decision points, with explanatory feedback regarding user’s decision.